Gramicidin is an antibacterial drug with a bacteriostatic action against gonococci, meningococci, anaerobic pathogens, Streptococcus pneumoniae and a bactericidal effect (in high concentrations) against Staphylococcus spp. and Streptococcus spp.
Release form and composition
Gramicidin is available in the form of buccal tablets and concentrate for preparing a solution with the same active ingredient.
As excipients in buccal tablets used: calcium stearate, lactose, sucrose, food flavoring, saccharinate sodium.
Tablets are available in blisters, 20 pieces per pack; concentrate - in vials of 5 or 10 ml.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Gramicidin in the form of tablets is used for acute infectious and inflammatory diseases of the throat and oral cavity, namely:
Gramicidin solution (water and fat) is used for:
- Bedsores and ulcers;
- Purulent wounds;
- Joint injuries;
- Carbuncles, boils, phlegmon.
Gramicidin alcohol solution is used for pyoderma.
According to the instructions Gramicidin in the form of a solution is used in complex treatment:
- Sclerite and episclerite;
- Infected eyelid eczema;
- Iridocyclitis and iritis;
- Otitis externa;
According to the instructions Gramicidin does not apply:
- With increased sensitivity of the patient to the components of the drug;
- During breastfeeding;
- With dermatosis (external use);
- At the age of 4 years.
The drug is used carefully during pregnancy and in patients aged 4 to 12 years.
Dosing and Administration
Gramicidin tablets are designed for slow resorption in the oral cavity.
Tablets are usually taken after a meal. After this, 1-2 hours should not eat or drink.
Children over 12 years old and adults - 2 tablets (the interval between taking the first and second tablets is 20-30 minutes) 4 times a day;
Children aged 6-12 years - 1-2 tablets 4 times a day (maximum daily dose - 7 tablets);
Children aged 4-6 years - 1 tablet 4 times a day.
The duration of the course of drug treatment in the form of tablets is 5-6 days.
Treatment with Gramicidin for more than 6 days is possible only on the recommendation of the attending physician.
The concentrate is used for the preparation of aqueous, alcohol and fatty solution. The resulting solutions are intended for local use.
To prepare an aqueous solution, sterile distilled or ordinary drinking water is used; fatty solution - fish oil, castor oil, lanolin; alcohol - 70% ethyl alcohol.
Gramicidin solution is used for irrigation of tampons and dressings, washes.
When pyoderma skin is smeared 2-3 times a day with an alcohol solution.
With Gramicidin, side effects may develop in the form of contact dermatitis or allergic reactions.
When applying Gramicidin it should be borne in mind that:
- Tablets should not be swallowed or chewed;
- The drug enhances the effect of other systemic and local antimicrobial agents;
- One tablet of the drug contains 0.05 XE, which is important for patients with diabetes mellitus;
- Taking this drug does not affect the level of concentration and speed of psychomotor reactions, which is important in driving and working with other mechanisms;
- An overdose of the drug is manifested by the same symptoms as overdose by other antibiotics, that is, disorders in the gastrointestinal tract due to superinfection and changes in the bacterial flora (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting). In such cases, you must stop taking the drug and contact your doctor;
- An aqueous solution of Gramicidin is used within 3 days from the moment of preparation;
- Intravenous administration of Gramicidin is not allowed. This can lead to hemolysis and phlebitis.
The structural analogue of this drug is Grammidin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Gramicidin tablets are stored at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° in places with limited access of children no more than three years.
Concentrate for the preparation of the solution is stored at a temperature of 12-15 ° in places with limited access of children no more than five years.