Glucovans is a hypoglycemic drug used in the treatment of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
Release form and composition
Glucovans is available in the form of coated tablets, the main active ingredients of which are glibenclamide and metformin hydrochloride.
As excipients in the drug used: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone K30.
Glucovans tablets are available in 2.5 mg + 500 mg and 5 mg + 500 mg in blisters of 30 pieces per pack.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Glucovans is used for diabetes of the second type:
- In the absence of the effect of exercise, diet, prior treatment with metformin, or sulfonylurea derivatives;
- In order to replace the previous treatment with two drugs (a derivative of sulfonylurea and metformin) in patients with a well-controlled level of glycemia.
According to the instructions, Glyukovans does not apply when:
- Diabetes mellitus type one;
- Hypersensitivity of the patient to any of the components of the drug;
- Renal failure or impaired kidney function;
- Diabetic precoma;
- Diabetic ketoacidosis;
- Diabetic coma;
- Acute conditions that may increase the risk of kidney problems: severe infection, intravascular injection of iodine-containing contrast agents, dehydration, shock;
- Acute or chronic diseases associated with hypoxia: recent myocardial infarction, heart failure, respiratory failure, shock;
- Hepatic failure;
- Taking miconazole;
- Chronic alcoholism or acute alcohol intoxication;
- Extensive surgical procedures;
- The observance of a low-calorie diet;
- Lactic acidosis;
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Glucovance is also not recommended for use:
- In patients over 60 years of age who perform heavy physical work due to the risk of developing lactic acidosis.
- In patients with hereditary intolerance to galactose, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome, lactase deficiency.
According to the instructions, Glyukovans should be used with caution when:
- Febrile syndrome;
- Hypofunction of the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland;
- Adrenal insufficiency;
- Diseases of the thyroid gland, accompanied by uncompensated violation of its function.
Dosing and Administration
Glucovans tablets are intended for oral administration. Tablets are taken with food intake, which should contain a large amount of carbohydrates, to prevent hypoglycemia.
The dosage of the drug is selected by the attending physician.
The initial dosage of Glucovans is 1 tablet (2.5 mg + 500 mg or 5 mg + 500 mg) once a day. It is recommended to increase the dose every 2 or more weeks by no more than 500 mg of metformin and 5 mg of glibenclamide per day in order to adequately control the level of glucose in the blood.
When replacing the previous combined treatment with glibenclamide and metformin, the initial dose should not be higher than the daily dose of glibenclamide and metformin, which were taken earlier. Every two weeks after the start of therapy, the dosage of the drug is adjusted.
The maximum daily dose of Glucovans is 4 tablets 5 mg + 500 mg or 6 tablets 2.5 mg + 500 mg.
Dosing regimen of the drug:
- With the appointment of one pill a day - in the morning, at breakfast;
- With the appointment of 2, 4 tablets per day - morning and evening;
- With the appointment of 3, 5, 6 tablets per day - in the morning, noon and evening.
When using Glucovans, adverse reactions may develop (often):
- Metabolic disorders: hypoglycemia;
- Nervous system: a violation of taste;
- The digestive system: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, decreased appetite;
- Organ of vision: temporary visual impairment (at the beginning of therapy).
When applying Glyukovans should be borne in mind that:
- During therapy, it is important to constantly fasting and after a meal to control the level of glycemia;
- Before starting drug therapy and subsequently, it is necessary to regularly monitor the level of creatinine in the blood serum, since metformin is eliminated by the kidneys;
- In case of surgery or decompensation of diabetes for other reasons, the patient should be temporarily transferred to insulin therapy;
- The use of Glyukovans stopped 48 hours before the planned surgical intervention or intravenous administration of radiopaque iodine-containing agents. Treatment is resumed after 48 hours, after assessment of renal function;
- With the development of an infectious disease of the urinary organs or a bronchopulmonary infection, the patient should inform the attending physician;
- During treatment, you should not take alcohol, because its reception can enhance the hypoglycemic effect of the drug, which can lead to the development of hypoglycemic coma;
- Glucocorticosteroids, tetrakozaktid, β 2 -adrenomimetiki, diuretics, taken simultaneously with this drug, increase the level of glucose in the blood;
- The use of ACE inhibitors simultaneously with Glyukovans reduces the content of glucose in the blood;
- Clonidine, β-adrenergic blockers, reserpine, sympathomimetics, guanethidine mask the symptoms of hypoglycemia; non-selective β-blockers increase the severity and frequency of hypoglycemia;
- Sulfonamides, fluoroquinolones, MAO inhibitors, anticoagulants, pentoxifylline, chloramphenicol, disopyramide, lipid-lowering drugs from the group of fibrates, taken simultaneously with this tool, increase the risk of hypoglycemia.
Structural analogues of Glucovans are drugs: Gluconorm, Glucofast, Glibenclamide + Metformin, Bagomet Plus.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug is stored in places with limited access of children at a temperature of not more than 30 ° no more than three years.