Glucophage is a hypoglycemic drug for oral use.
Release form and composition
The active component of Glucophage is metformin, which has a hypoglycemic effect.
Glucophage tablets are made with the following content of active ingredient:
- Glucophage 500 and XR - 500 mg of metformin hydrochloride;
- Glucofage 850 - 850 mg of the active ingredient;
- Glucophage 1000 - 1000 mg.
The medicine on sale can be found in blisters of 10 pieces. Glyukofazh XR - in blisters of 15 pieces.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Glucophage is indicated for use in type 2 diabetes mellitus in case of failure of diet therapy. The drug is prescribed as the main treatment or in combination with other hypoglycemic agents or insulin.
According to the instructions, Glucophage should not be used in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug;
- Diabetic coma, precoma, diabetic ketoacidosis;
- Severe renal dysfunction (creatinine clearance less than 60 ml / min), accompanied by shock, severe forms of infectious diseases, dehydration;
- The period of diagnostic manipulations with the use of iodine-containing contrast agents (in this case, the use of Glucophage should be stopped 2 days before the start of diagnosis);
- Acute and chronic diseases accompanied by hypoxia, shock, acute myocardial infarction, cardiac or respiratory failure;
- 2 days before surgery;
- Impaired liver function;
- Intoxication of the body due to alcohol intake, alcoholism;
- Compliance with low-calorie diet;
- Lactic acidosis, including in the anamnesis;
- Period of pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Age up to 10 years (for Glucophage 500, 850, 1000 mg);
- Age up to 18 years (for Glyukofazh XR).
With caution Glyukofazh prescribed to patients:
- Old age;
- The work of which is associated with the management of potentially dangerous mechanisms that require increased concentration of attention;
- At the stage of puberty.
Dosing and Administration
Glucophage tablets are swallowed whole, without grinding and chewing, with a glass of water. The drug should be taken with or immediately after a meal. The duration of treatment and dosage the attending physician determines on an individual basis.
As a rule, 500-850 mg of the drug is prescribed twice or thrice a day for adult patients. After 1.5-2 weeks after the start of treatment, the dose of Glyukofazh is adjusted based on the level of glucose in the patient's blood. If you need to increase the dose of metformin, then this should be done gradually. The maximum single dose of Glyukofazh should not exceed 1000 mg, daily - 3000 mg.
For children older than 10 years, the dosage of the drug is 500-850 mg once a day, with subsequent correction depending on the plasma glucose level. The maximum single dose of metformin for children is 1000 mg, daily - 2000 mg.
Patients of advanced age and in case of impaired renal function Glucophage is prescribed in the minimum allowable doses, followed by a gradual increase depending on the level of glucose in the blood and the assessment of the state of renal function.
The drug Glucophage XR is taken in a dose of 1 tablet 1 time per day, preferably in the evening. Dose adjustment is carried out depending on the level of glucose in the blood. If you need to increase the dose, you should increase it to 500 mg (1 tablet) once a week to achieve the desired hypoglycemic effect. The maximum daily dose of GlucophageXR is 2000 mg.
The use of Glucophage may cause the following side effects:
- Gastrointestinal tract and liver: nausea, vomiting, abnormal stool, epigastric pain, flatulence, anorexia, metallic taste in the mouth, changes in taste, abnormal liver function, hepatitis;
- Blood system: megaloblastic anemia;
- Allergies: skin rash, itching, hives;
- Other: lactic acidosis, manifestations of which are nausea and vomiting, weakness, myalgia, epigastric pain. With prolonged use of Glyukofazh in patients there was a decrease in the absorbability of cyanocobalamin in the gastrointestinal tract.
As a rule, side effects are swift and within 2 weeks after the start of treatment with metformin disappear independently. If this does not happen, or the side effects are pronounced, you should stop treatment with the medicine and contact your doctor for further therapy with Glucophage.
Before using Glucophage, women of childbearing age should exclude pregnancy. For the entire period of treatment is recommended to use reliable contraception. In the case of planning or pregnancy, the medication should be discontinued.
The combined use of Glucophage with iodine-containing contrast agents and ethanol is prohibited. It is necessary to observe a break between their applications in 2 days.
Glucophage is not prescribed simultaneously with danazol. If used in conjunction with beta2-sympathomimetic drugs, diuretics, neuroleptics, glucocorticosteroids, chlorpromazine, blood glucose should be monitored. The therapeutic effect of metformin is enhanced by angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.
With an overdose of Glyukofazh patients develop lactic acidosis. In this case, medication should be canceled and symptomatic treatment should be carried out.
Structural analogues of Glyukofazh are the following drugs:
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Glucophage should be stored in a cool place, reliably protected from moisture and direct sunlight.
The shelf life of the Glucophage 500 and 850 mg is 5 years from the date of manufacture, the Glucophage 1000 and XR are 3 years.