Hypothiazide - diuretic with antihypertensive properties.
Release form and composition
Dosage form of the drug - tablets for oral administration, containing:
- 25 or 100 mg of hydrochlorothiazide;
- Inactive ingredients: gelatin, lactose monohydrate, corn starch, talc and magnesium stearate.
Hypothiazide tablets are sold for 20 pcs. in blister packs packed in cartons.
Indications for use
In accordance with the instructions to the hypothiazide, this drug is prescribed for:
- Hypertension (including as part of complex therapy);
- Edematous syndrome of any genesis (caused by portal hypertension, chronic renal failure, acute glomerulonephritis, nephrotic syndrome, chronic heart failure, premenstrual tension syndrome, concomitant corticosteroid therapy).
In addition, Hypothiazide may be applied:
- To control polyuria (increasing the amount of urine excreted), especially in patients with nephrogenic diabetes mellitus;
- For the prevention of stone formation in the urinary tract in patients with predisposing factors.
The use of hypothiazide is contraindicated in:
- Anuria (complete cessation of urine in the bladder);
- Severe renal failure (with CC to 30 ml / minute);
- Difficult controlled diabetes;
- Refractory hypokalemia;
- Severe liver failure;
- Addison's Diseases.
Also, the drug should not be taken:
- In case of hypersensitivity to hydrochlorothiazide, auxiliary components or sulfonamide derivatives;
- Children up to 3 years (due to solid dosage form);
- In the first trimester of pregnancy;
- During lactation.
Hypothiazide is prescribed, but with caution to elderly patients, as well as with:
- Lactose intolerance;
- Progressive liver disease;
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- Impaired liver function;
- Coronary heart disease;
- The use of cardiac glycosides.
Dosing and Administration
According to the instructions to the hypothiazide, tablets should be taken after meals.
The doctor selects a specific dose individually. Treatment always begins with the minimum effective dosage, raise it with constant medical monitoring.
In case of arterial hypertension, the drug should be taken in 25-50 mg once a day. Some patients need 12.5 mg, some patients need to increase the daily dose to 100 mg. The medicine can be used as monotherapy or in combination with other antihypertensive drugs. In order to avoid an excessive decrease in blood pressure when Hypothiazide is combined with other antihypertensive drugs, a lower dosage of the latter is usually required.
With edematous syndrome, the effective dose of the drug can vary in the range of 25-100 mg per day. Hypothiazide is taken daily or once every 2 days. In some cases, it may be necessary to increase the daily dosage to 200 mg, but after stabilization, it is reduced to maintenance.
With nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, the dose is 50-150 mg, divided into several doses.
With premenstrual tension syndrome, Hypothiazide is taken from the day of onset of symptoms before the onset of menstruation at a daily dose of 25 mg.
Children aged 3-12 years, the drug is prescribed based on their weight - at the rate of 1-2 mg per kilogram of weight or 30-60 mg / sq.m. body surfaces. The average daily dose is 37.5-100 mg.
When using hypothiazide, the following side effects may occur:
- Hypercalcemia, hypomagnesaemia, hypokalemia, hyponatremia (manifested including muscle cramps, fatigue, excitability, confusion, slowing down the thinking process, convulsions, lethargy), hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change in hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change), hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change in hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change), hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change in hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change), hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change of hypochloraemic alkalosis (manifested including dry mouth, thirst, change) nausea, vomiting, pain and muscle cramps, unusual tiredness or weakness, irregular heart rhythm), hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hyperuricemia, when used in high doses - increased levels of lipids rows in the serum;
- Constipation, diarrhea, cholecystitis, cholestatic jaundice, anorexia, sialadenitis, pancreatitis;
- Arrhythmia, vasculitis, orthostatic hypotension;
- Interstitial nephritis, impaired renal function;
- Dizziness, paresthesia, headache, temporarily blurry vision;
- Leukopenia, aplastic and hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis;
- Urticaria, photosensitivity, purpura, necrotizing vasculitis, respiratory distress syndrome (including pneumonitis, non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylactic reactions up to shock;
- Decreased potency.
Diuretics are the cause of increased loss of potassium and magnesium ions, so during the use of Hypothiazide, especially with long-term treatment, it is necessary to carefully monitor the water-electrolyte balance, primarily in patients at increased risk (in diseases of the cardiovascular system, disorders liver function, severe vomiting, etc.).
The antihypertensive effect of the drug appears 3-4 days after the start of treatment, but it takes at least 3 weeks to achieve a lasting effect. After the end of therapy, the antihypertensive effect persists for 1 week.
Analogs of Hypothiazide:
- According to the active substance: hydrochlorothiazide, hydrochlorothiazide, hydrochlorothiazide-Verte, hydrochlorothiazide-SAR, Dichlothiazide;
- According to belonging to one pharmacological subgroup: Cyclomethiazide.
Terms and conditions of storage
Hypothiazide is a prescription drug.
Store tablets, according to the manufacturer's recommendations, should be in the original packaging at temperatures up to 25 ºC in a place inaccessible to the sun. Their shelf life when these conditions are met is 5 years.