Ginalgin is a combination drug that has antibacterial, antimycotic and antiprotozoal effects.
Release form and composition
Dosage form of the drug - tablets for intravaginal use, which are based on metronidazole and chloroquinaldol. The concentration of active substances in a single tablet is 0.25 and 0.1 g, respectively.
Auxiliary components: anhydrous citric acid, rice starch, lactose monohydrate, ultra-amylopectin (sodium starch glycolate), carbowax 6000 (polyethylene glycol 6000), magnesium stearate.
Tablets Ginalgin have a drop-like shape, the edges are smooth, the surface is marble, the color varies from light yellow to yellow with a cream shade, the smell is specific (weakly pronounced). The letter “G” is engraved on one side.
Tablets are available in 5 pcs. in blisters, 2 blisters in a carton box.
Indications for use
For therapeutic purposes, the use of Ginalgin is indicated for:
- Trichomonas, fungal or bacterial vaginitis;
- Vaginitis of mixed genesis (i.e., caused by mixed flora).
As a prophylactic Ginalgin, according to the instructions, you can apply before:
- Abortion procedure;
- Surgery for gynecological diseases;
as well as before and after the procedure of cervical coagulation, installation of intrauterine devices of contraception.
The use of Ginalgin is contraindicated in:
- Blood disorders;
- Hypersensitivity to metronidazole, chlorquinaldol or any of the auxiliary components of the drug;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Insufficiency of liver function (if necessary, use of the drug in high doses);
- Organic lesions of the central nervous system (including epilepsy);
- Violations of coordination of movements.
Dosing and Administration
Standard dosage regimen of Ginalgin: 1 tablet daily for 7–10 days. The drug should be administered as deeply as possible into the vagina, preferably in the evening, before going to bed.
The course of treatment is usually recommended to start at 2-4 days after the completion of menstrual bleeding. If necessary, as prescribed by a doctor, repeated courses are conducted at certain intervals.
When using Ginalgin the following side effects are possible:
- Local reactions, manifested by a sensation of irritation, itching and soreness in the vagina, the appearance of white mucous-like discharge (odorless or with a faint smell);
- Frequent urination;
- Irritation and burning sensation of the penis of the partner after intimate relationships;
- Disorders of the digestive tract, expressed in the form of nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, metallic taste in the mouth, changes in taste, spastic abdominal pain;
- Itching of the skin and the appearance of rashes on them, urticaria;
- Dizziness and headaches;
- Leukocytosis or leukopenia;
- Urine staining in a reddish-brown color (this side effect is associated with the presence in the body of water-soluble pigment, which is formed during the metabolism of metronidazole).
After the end of the course of treatment with Ginalgin, some women complain about the development of vaginal candidiasis (thrush) in them.
The appearance of any adverse reactions is the reason for the termination of therapy and access to a doctor.
The instructions to Ginalgin indicated that during the period of drug treatment should refrain from the use of alcohol, because it causes alcohol intolerance.
If there is a history of indications of changes in the composition of peripheral blood, as well as when using the drug in high doses and / or over a long period, a complete blood count should be monitored.
Ginalgin enhances the effect of warfarin and a number of other indirect anticoagulants, which leads to an increase in the time of formation of prothrombin.
Metabolism of metronidazole inhibits cimetidine, which leads to an increase in its concentration in serum, resulting in an increased risk of unwanted reactions from the body.
Simultaneous use with disulfiram provokes the development of neurological symptoms (including mental disorders and depression of consciousness), therefore Ginalgin is contraindicated in patients who have been undergoing treatment for alcoholism with the indicated drug in the last two weeks.
This drug helps to increase the serum concentration of lithium drugs.
The action of Ginalgin is reduced under the influence of barbiturates, which is associated with the acceleration of inactivation of metronidazole in the liver.
During the period of use of the drug is recommended to abandon sexual activity.
Metronidazole is characterized by the ability to reduce the mobility of treponema, which can cause a false-positive result of the TPI test (a method for diagnosing syphilis).
One of the relatively frequent side effects of ginalgin with potentially dangerous effects is dizziness, and therefore during the period of treatment with this drug it is recommended to refrain from driving a car and working with complex mechanisms.
The analogs of Ginalgin are Gynomax, Ginezol 7, Gyno-pevaril, Gyno-travogen ovulum, Imidil, Zalain, Ifenek, Candide, Kandibene, Kenison, Ketoconazole, Klion-D 100, Klommegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Klion-D 100, Klommegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Kleon-D 100, Klommegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Cloison Dimarel, Klemegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Klion-D 100, Klommegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Klion-D 100, Klommegel, Clotrimazole, Clotrimax, Levarol, Kenison-D 100 Mikogal, Mikozon, Neo-Penotran, Ornion, Ornisid, Trichopolus, Trichosept, Flagyl, Funginal, Fungitsip, Vagisept, Vagiferon, Metromikon-Neo.
Terms and conditions of storage
Ginalgin is a list B preparation, which should be stored at a temperature of 15-25 ºС in a place inaccessible to the penetration of sunlight and moisture. Shelf life - 3 years.