Hydrea - an anticancer drug, an antimetabolite.
Release form and composition
Dosage form Gidrea - hard gelatin capsules.
The active substance of the drug is hydroxycarbamide, its concentration in 1 capsule is 500 mg.
Auxiliary substances used in the production of Hydrea are lactose monohydrate, sodium hydrogen phosphate and citric acid.
The capsule shell consists of gelatin, titanium dioxide, indigo carmine dye FD & C blue, iron oxide red and yellow dyes.
Capsules are sold in 10 pcs. in blisters, 2 blisters per pack.
Indications for use
In accordance with the instructions to Gidrea, the drug is intended for the treatment of such cancer:
- Acute and chronic myeloid leukemia;
- Essential thrombocythemia;
- Prostate cancer;
- Brain tumor;
- Thrombocytosis, developed on the background of myeloproliferative syndrome;
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children;
- Lungs' cancer;
- Chorionepithelioma of the uterus;
- Ovarian cancer;
- Cervical cancer (in this case, Hydrea is used to increase the effectiveness of radiation therapy).
- Colon cancer;
- Tumors of the neck and head (except for the lips);
- Metastasis of breast and stomach cancer.
The use of Hydrea is contraindicated:
- When hypersensitivity to hydroxycarbamide or auxiliary components;
- Patients with leukopenia below 2.5-3 thousand / μl;
- Patients with severe thrombocytopenia below 100 thousand / µl;
- During lactation.
If indicated, the drug is prescribed, but with extreme caution:
- Pregnant women;
- With renal / hepatic failure.
In the event that anemia was detected in a patient during the examination period, it should be eliminated before using Hydrea.
Dosing and Administration
According to the instructions to Hydrea, capsules should be taken orally, swallowing whole. However, if swallowing is difficult, it is allowed to open the capsule, pour its contents into a glass of water and drink it immediately.
For cancer of the neck and head, ovarian cancer and melanoma, the drug is prescribed as follows: 80 mg / kg every three days for 3 weeks or 20-30 mg daily.
In chronic myeloid leukemia, Hydrea is prescribed as a part of a combination therapy (in combination with allopurinol in a daily dose of 300 mg) at a dose of 20–30 mg / kg once daily.
Treatment of essential thrombocythemia is prescribed with a dosage of 15 mg / kg, then the dose is selected individually so that the number of platelets is not less than 600 thousand / μl, but the number of leukocytes does not decrease less than 4 thousand / μl.
The following diseases require prolonged use of Hydrea:
- With thrombocytosis and myelose: the initial daily dose is 20-40 mg / kg, supporting - 10-30 mg / kg, with an exacerbation of the disease, 25-60 mg / kg is prescribed;
- In erythremia: in the period of exacerbation - 15-20 mg / kg, supporting daily dosage - 10 mg / kg;
- In myelofibrosis: take 20 mg / kg, in the period of maintenance therapy - 10 mg / kg;
- For cancer and melanocarcinoma: in a daily dose of 20-30 mg / kg.
After 4-6 weeks of therapy, the effectiveness of the drug is evaluated, if the progression of the disease continues, Gidrea is canceled. With an acceptable clinical response, treatment can be carried out indefinitely. The development of anemia does not require interruption of the course, the main thing is to take adequate measures to eliminate it.
In the event that during the treatment period of Hydrea, the number of leukocytes is reduced to 20 thousand / μl, the dosage of the drug should be reduced, if it is below 5 thousand / μl, it should be canceled.
All patients during the period of use of Hydrea should drink plenty of fluids.
Possible side effects of the drug:
- Headache, fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, rarely - disorientation, hallucinations, convulsions (reactions of the nervous system);
- Anemia, leukopenia and thrombocytopenia (phenomena from the blood-forming organs);
- Anorexia, stomatitis, ulceration of the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, diarrhea or constipation, vomiting, increased activity of liver enzymes (side effects of the digestive system);
- Interstitial nephritis, urinary retention, an increase in the content of urea, uric acid and creatinine in plasma, rarely - dysuria (on the part of the urinary system);
- Dermatomyositis and skin hyperemia, maculopapular rashes. In the case of taking Hydrea for several years, atrophy of the skin and nails, hyperpigmentation, purple papules, peeling of the skin, erythematous rash, toxic skin vasculitis, rarely - alopecia, skin cancer (side effects from the skin) are possible;
- General malaise, allergic reactions, chills, increased ESR (strong adverse reactions from the body).
Treatment with Hydrea should be carried out under the supervision of a medical professional with experience in antitumor therapy.
The entire period of therapy should regularly check the function of the liver and kidneys, conduct a study of the bone marrow. At least 1 time per week, you must do a clinical blood test.
With the same active ingredient, hydroxyurea and hydroxycarbamide medac preparations are produced.
Analogues of Hydrea on the mechanism of action are the following drugs: L-asparaginase, Agrilin, Amilan FS, Arglabin, Aranoza, Asparaginase Medak, Bortezomib, Velcade, Vero-Asparaginase, Verotecan, Vesanoid, Hexalen, Gikamtin, Zaltrap, Zolzez, Zhelezze, Zerzaz, Verotecan, Vesanoid, Hexalen, Gikamtin, Zaltraz, Zolzez, Verotecan, Vesanoid, Hexalen, Gikamtin Irinotel, Iriten, Irnokam, Kampter, Campto, Camptothecan, Kolotecan, Milanfor, Onkaspar, Onkofag, Proxyfein, Prospidin, Refnot, Thromboreducteine, Halaven, Chloditan, Erivedge, Estracyte.
Terms and conditions of storage
Hydrea should be stored at a temperature of 15-25 ºC in a place inaccessible to sunlight. Shelf life of capsules - 5 years.