Gelomirtol is a drug used to kill pathogenic bacteria, liquefy and remove sputum, which has antibacterial, mucolytic and anti-inflammatory effects on the body.
Release form and composition
Make Gelomirtol capsules are enteric, translucent, soft with contents in the form of a transparent oily colorless liquid with a characteristic odor. The active substance of the drug is 120 mg of myrtol standardized for a minimum content of 30 mg of limonene, 30 mg of cineole, 8 mg of alpha-pinene.
Capsule auxiliaries include medium chain triglycerides, glycerol, gelatin, hydrochloric acid 13%, sorbitol, talc, sodium lauryl sulfate, hypromellose acetate succinate, dextrin, triethyl acetate, ammonium glycyrrhizinate.
In blister packs of 10 capsules.
The drug Gelomirtol Forte is also made of enteric, transparent, gelatinous, oblong forms, with contents in the form of a colorless transparent liquid with a characteristic odor. The active substance of 1 capsule is 300 mg of myrtol standardized for a minimum content of 75 mg of limonene, 75 mg of cineole, 20 mg of alpha-pinene.
Additional components of the capsules: rapeseed oil, sorbitol, hydrochloric acid solution 13%, glycerol 85%, dextrin, talc, ammonium glycyrrhizinate, sodium lauryl sulfate, hypromellose acetate succinate, triethyl acetate.
In blister packs of 10 capsules.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Gelomirtol is indicated for use for the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, such as acute or chronic bronchitis, sinusitis (as part of complex therapy).
According to the instructions, Gelomirtol should not be taken in the following cases:
- Urolithiasis disease;
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug;
- Bronchial asthma;
- First trimester of pregnancy;
- Children's age up to 6 years (for Gelomirtol capsules);
- Children's age up to 10 years (for Gelomirtola Forte).
Dosing and Administration
Capsules Gelomirtol is applied inside, preferably half an hour before meals, with half a glass of water at room temperature.
The standard dosage of Gelomirtol Forte for adult patients is 1 capsule 3-4 times a day. In chronic inflammatory process, 1 capsule is prescribed twice a day. In order to facilitate the discharge of sputum in the morning, patients additionally take 1 capsule of the drug at bedtime.
At the age of 10-18, children with acute inflammatory process take 1 capsule of Gelomirtol Forte twice a day. When inflammation of a chronic nature - 1 capsule once a day.
Gelomirtol capsules are prescribed for adult patients in a dose of:
- In acute bronchitis or sinusitis - 2 capsules 4-5 times per day (up to 8-10 capsules per day);
- Chronic inflammation - 2 capsules of medication three times a day;
- In order to facilitate the discharge of sputum in the morning - an additional 2 capsules at bedtime.
Children aged 10-18 take Gelomirtol in the following dosages:
- In acute bronchitis or sinusitis - 1 capsule 4-5 times a day;
- Chronic inflammatory process - 1 capsule up to three times a day.
Children aged 6-10 years:
- Inflammatory cleansing of acute course - 1 capsule 3-4 times a day;
- Chronic bronchitis or sinusitis - 1 capsule twice a day.
The doctor determines the duration of therapy individually, depending on the severity of the disease and the effectiveness of therapy.
The use of Gelomirtol is predominantly positively tolerated by patients, side effects are rare. The most common side effects are:
- Allergic reactions in the form of skin rash, itching, bronchospasm, swelling of the face, caused by hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- Dry mouth;
- Stomach pains;
- Increased mobility of gallstones and kidneys.
If as a result of the use of the drug in a patient, the side effects described above are observed, you should immediately report them to your doctor.
With prolonged use of Gelomirtol in high doses, the following overdose symptoms may develop: nausea and vomiting, convulsions, breathing problems, coma. Rarely possible due to severe intoxication disruption of the cardiovascular system.
In case of overdose, the patient is prescribed liquid paraffin at a dose of 3 ml per kg of body weight, gastric lavage with a solution of baking soda, and oxygen ventilation of the lungs.
Any information about the use of Gelomirtol in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy is not available, therefore drug therapy is not highly recommended. The exception is when the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risks to the fetus.
No drug interaction of Gelomirtol was recorded.
Gelomirtol treatment does not affect the control of potentially dangerous mechanisms that require increased concentration of attention.
The structural analogue of Gelomirtol is the drug Myrtol.
Similar drugs that have similar pharmacological effects are:
- Brionium and other drugs that have mucolytic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Gelomirtol should be stored at a cool temperature, in a dry, dark and out of reach of children. The shelf life of the drug is 2 years from the date of issue.