Gastal is an antacid drug used to relieve symptoms and treat acid-related diseases of the digestive tract by neutralizing the acidity of hydrochloric acid, which is part of the gastric juice.
Release form and composition
Gastala dosage form - lozenges containing:
- 450 mg of aluminum hydroxide-magnesium carbonate gel in concentration;
- 300 mg of magnesium hydroxide;
- Auxiliary components: mannitol (E421), lactose monohydrate, sorbitol, corn starch, talc, cyclamate and saccharin sodium, magnesium stearate, peppermint flavoring.
The tablets are white (cream shade is allowed), have a round shape, a smooth surface, on each of them there is a chamfer. Implemented in 6 pieces. in blisters. 2, 5 or 10 blisters can be packed in one carton.
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Gastal, the indications for use of the drug are:
- Reflux esophagitis;
- Dyspeptic manifestations occurring on the background of the use of other drugs, smoking, errors in nutrition, the use of alcoholic beverages and coffee;
- Hernia of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm;
- Conditions that are accompanied by increased formation of hydrochloric acid (including gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer);
The use of Gastala, according to the instructions, is contraindicated in:
- Severe renal failure;
- Alzheimer's disease;
- Lactase deficiency;
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome;
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug, aluminum salts or magnesium.
With regard to the use of the drug in pediatrics, Gastal is not indicated for children under 6 years of age.
It is recommended to prescribe pills with caution:
- In chronic kidney failure;
- During pregnancy and lactation;
- Teenagers over 12 years old, but with a body weight of less than 50 kg;
- Children aged 6 to 12 years;
- Elderly patients.
Dosing and Administration
Gastal take inside. Tablets should be kept in the mouth until completely dissolved.
Adults and adolescents over 12 years old, provided they weigh more than 50 kg, should take 1-2 tablets 4 to 6 times a day. Optimally - an hour after eating and before bedtime. In this case, the daily dose should not exceed 8 tablets.
With heartburn, the dosing regimen is the same, but taking pills may not be tied to the meal time.
Adults and adolescents whose weight does not reach 50 kg should take half the dose recommended for patients over 12 years of age weighing more than 50 kg. A similar dosing regimen is indicated for children aged 6 to 12 years.
The maximum duration of Gastal use is 14 days.
Patients with chronic renal failure do not need to change the dosage regimen and regimen of the drug.
Gastal is generally well tolerated by patients, and rarely causes side effects (less than 0.1% of cases). They are mainly expressed by impaired stool (constipation or, conversely, diarrhea), nausea, and changes in taste.
In individual cases, it is possible the development of allergic reactions.
The description of the symptoms of acute overdose Gastal absent. Prolonged use of drugs, which include magnesium and aluminum, can provoke the development of:
- Osteomalacia (softening of the bone tissue);
- Renal dysfunction.
Also, if the recommended doses of Gastal are exceeded, the likelihood of increased side effects from the digestive tract is not excluded. In patients with kidney failure, there may be increased thirst, hyporeflexia and a decrease in blood pressure.
Treatment of overdose involves symptomatic therapy.
Patients with renal dysfunction should not exceed the duration of treatment and the doses prescribed in the Gastal instructions.
With the simultaneous use of Gastal:
- Decreases and slows down the absorption of quinolones, iron supplements, naproxen, isoniazid, aminazine, indomethacin, β-blockers, H2-antihistamines, diflunisal, fat-soluble vitamins, indirect anticoagulants, barbiturates, salicylates (including acetyl methyl.
- Reduces the bioavailability of captopril;
- It enhances the pharmacological activity of nilidixic acid and levodopa;
- Reduces the absorption of ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin (approximately 50-90%) and ranitidine (10-33%).
- Reduces the plasma concentration of metoprolol.
Gastal is not recommended to be administered simultaneously with tetracyclines, since it reduces their absorption by about 90% (due to the fact that tetracyclines, when interacting with metal ions that are part of antacid preparations, form insoluble chelate complexes). If it is really necessary, tetracycline should be taken at least 2 hours before taking an antacid.
The use of antacid agents does not affect the bioavailability of cefalexin, amoxicillin, a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, but may reduce the absorption of doxycycline from the digestive tract. To prevent the potential drug interaction of Gastal, it should be taken one hour before or one hour after their use.
Analogues of Gastal according to the mechanism of action are Agiflux, Almagel, Renny, Altacid, Alumach, Palmagel, Gastracid, Inalan, Maalox, Gastroramazole.
Terms and conditions of storage
In pharmacies Gastal is sold in non-prescription mode. It is recommended to store the drug at a temperature not higher than 25 ºС. Shelf life of tablets - 36 months.