Haloperidol is an antipsychotic drug (neuroleptic).
Release form and composition
Haloperidol dosage forms - tablets for oral administration and solution for in / in and in / m introduction.
Each tablet contains:
- 1.5 mg or 5 mg haloperidol;
- Inactive ingredients: medical gelatin, potato starch, magnesium stearate, lactose (milk sugar), talc.
Haloperidol tablets are sold in 10 pcs. in blisters and 100 pcs. in polymer cans.
In 1 ml of solution contains:
- 5 mg haloperidol;
- Additional components: 90% lactic acid, injectable water.
A solution of Haloperidol, 1 ml in dark glass ampoules, 10 ampoules in a blister pack, 2 pcs. in a carton box.
Indications for use
According to the instructions for haloperidol, the drug is intended for the treatment of:
- Acute and chronic psychosis, accompanied by delusional and hallucinatory disorders, arousal;
- Manic states;
- Personality changes (schizoid, paranoid, etc.), behavioral disorders, and Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome;
- Psychosomatic disorders;
- Tikov, Gottington's chorea;
- Long-lasting and resistant to the treatment of hiccups and vomiting, including those caused by antitumor therapy.
In some cases, Haloperidol is indicated for premedication (preliminary medical preparation) of the patient for surgery.
The use of haloperidol, according to the instructions, is contraindicated:
- Children up to 3 years;
- When hypersensitivity to haloperidol or any auxiliary component;
- Breastfeeding women;
- During pregnancy;
- In severe toxic depression of CNS function caused by xenobiotics;
- With coma of various origins;
- In diseases of the central nervous system that are accompanied by extrapyramidal or pyramidal disorders (including Parkinson’s disease).
Haloperidol tablets contain milk sugar, so in this form, the drug is contraindicated in patients with congenital intolerance to lactose, glucose-galactose malabsorption, or lactase deficiency.
Prescribe the drug, but with caution and under the special supervision of physicians with:
- Decompensated cardiovascular diseases, which include violations of intracardiac conduction, angina pectoris, prolongation of the QT interval, or the presence of a predisposition to this pathology;
- Pulmonary heart disease, including bronchial asthma and acute infectious diseases;
- Severe kidney / liver disease;
- Hyperthyroidism (thyrotoxicosis);
- Prostatic hyperplasia;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- Active alcoholism.
Dosing and Administration
In the form of intramuscular or intravenous injection, the drug is prescribed for the relief of psychomotor agitation - 2.5-5 mg of haloperidol (0.5-1 ml of solution) twice or three times a day (for intravenous administration, the contents of one ampoule are diluted 10 -15 ml injection water). The maximum permissible daily dose is 60 mg.
Daily Dosage of Haloperidol:
- for children - 0.025-0.05 mg / kg twice a day, maximum - 0.15 mg / kg;
- for elderly patients, 0.5-1.5 mg twice a day, maximum 5 mg.
Parenteral use of the drug should be carried out under the careful supervision of the attending physician. After achieving a stable sedative effect, the patient is transferred to the oral administration of the drug.
In the form of tablets, haloperidol is taken orally, approximately 30 minutes before a meal. To reduce the irritating effect on the gastric mucosa, you can drink them with milk.
In each case, the doctor selects the optimal dosage individually. The initial daily dose for children over 12 years of age and adults may be in the range of 0.5 to 5 mg in 2-3 doses. If necessary, it is gradually increased by 0.5-2 mg (in resistant cases, perhaps by 2-4 mg) until the desired therapeutic effect is achieved. The maximum allowable daily dosage is 100 mg.
As a rule, the average therapeutic daily dose for adults is 10-15 mg, in chronic forms of diseases - 20-40 mg, in resistant cases - 50-60 mg.
For children from 3 to 12 years old (with a body weight of 15 to 40 kg), the dose of Haloperidol is calculated taking into account the weight - on the basis of 0.025-0.05 mg per kilogram. The total daily dosage is divided into 2-3 doses. The maximum daily dose is 0.15 mg per kg, the increase should be carried out gradually - no more often than once in 5-7 days.
Weakened patients and elderly people are prescribed 1 / 3-1 / 2 of the usual dose for an adult. Increase it no more than once every 2-3 days.
The duration of use of Haloperidol in each case is determined individually, the average course of treatment is 2-3 months.
Outside the exacerbation, the drug can be prescribed in a maintenance dosage of 0.5–5 mg per day (gradually reduce the dose).
As an antiemetic Haloperidol take 1.5 mg.
With the use of haloperidol are possible:
- Extrapyramidal disorders, anxiety, ocular veins, dizziness, parkinsonism, headache, anxiety, insomnia or drowsiness, psychomotor agitation, depression, fear, euphoria, akathisia, epileptic seizures, in rare cases, exacerbation of psychosis is possible;
- Peripheral edema, gynecomastia, pain in the mammary glands, menstrual disorders, increased libido, reduced potency, priapism;
- Blurred vision, retinopathy, cataracts;
- Photosensitization, acne-like and maculopapular changes of the skin, rarely laryngospasm, bronchospasm;
- Increased body weight, alopecia, hyperfunction of the sebaceous glands.
Analogs on the active substance: Apo-Haloperidol, Haloperidol-Acre, Haloperidol-Richter, Haloperidol-Ferein, Haloperidol-ROS, Senorm.
Terms and conditions of storage
Haloperidol is strictly prescribed. Shelf life of tablets - 3 years, ampoules - 5 years. Store the drug should be in a dark place at temperatures up to 25 ºC.