Galazolin - a vasoconstrictor drug for the treatment of diseases of the nose.
Release form and composition
Galazolin is available in the form of 0.05% and 0.1% nasal drops, 0.05% and 0.1% nasal gel.
1 ml of drops contains:
- 500 mcg or 1 mg xylometazoline (in the form of hydrochloride);
- Inactive components: disodium edetate, sodium phosphate dodecahydrate, sorbitol, benzalkonium chloride, purified water, sodium chloride, sodium dihydrogen phosphate monohydrate.
Drops of 10 ml are sold in plastic dropper bottles packed in cartons.
1 gram of gel Galazolin contains:
- 500 mcg or 1 mg of xylometazoline hydrochloride;
- Additional components: sodium dihydrophosphate, hydroxyethyl cellulose, sodium hydrogen phosphate, glycerol, sodium chloride, sorbitol, benzalkonium chloride, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid disodium salt, purified water.
The gel is sold in 10 g in plastic bottles with a dosing device, packed in cardboard boxes.
Indications for use
According to the instructions to Galazolin, the drug is intended for the symptomatic treatment of the following diseases:
- Sinusitis (both acute and chronic);
- Rhinitis of allergic origin;
- Acute rhinitis of bacterial and viral genesis;
In order to reduce the swelling of the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx Galazolin prescribed for otitis media.
Contraindications to the use of Galazolin, according to the instructions, are:
- Atrophic rhinitis;
- Pronounced atherosclerosis;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- A history of instructions on the conduct of surgery on the meninges;
- Arterial hypertension;
- Hypersensitivity to xylometazoline hydrochloride or to any auxiliary component of the drug;
- The need for simultaneous administration of MAO inhibitors, as well as a period of 14 days after the end of their use.
Prescribe the drug, but with extreme caution:
- Patients with diabetes;
- Breastfeeding women;
- With pheochromocytoma;
- With prostatic hyperplasia;
- Patients with angina III-IV functional classes.
With regard to the use of Galazolin in pediatrics, prescribe:
- 0.05% drops - from 2 years;
- 0.05% gel - from 3 years;
- 0.1% drops - from 6 years;
- 0.1% gel - from 12 years.
Dosing and Administration
0.05% drops Galazolin intended for children from 2 to 6 years. They are prescribed 1-2 drops in each nasal passage once or twice a day.
0.1% drops are indicated for children over 6 years old and for adults. They are prescribed 2-3 drops in each nostril two or three times a day.
0.05% gel Galazolin is intended for children from 3 to 12 years:
- At the age of 3-6 years - 1 dose (when using a dosing device, it corresponds to 50 µg xylometazoline) in each nasal passage once or twice a day;
- At the age of 6-12 years - 1-2 doses in each nostril two or three times a day.
Children over 12 years old and adults are given 0.1% gel - 1 dose (when administered with a dosing device, it corresponds to 100 µg xylometazoline) in each nasal passage twice or three times a day.
The maximum allowable frequency of use of Galazolin is 3 times a day.
The course of treatment is usually from 3 to 5 days, the maximum - 2 weeks.
In most cases, the drug, according to reviews of patients, is well tolerated.
With frequent and / or too long use, the following local reactions are possible:
- Irritation and dryness of the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx;
- Paresthesia and burning of the nasal mucosa;
- Mucous hypersecretion;
- Swelling of the nasal mucosa (rare).
In individual cases, when using Galazolin, the following systemic reactions are noted:
- Increased blood pressure;
- Blurred vision;
- Depression (with prolonged use in high doses).
In adults, no cases of galazolin overdose have been reported. In case of improper use of the drug or use of too large a dose, accidental ingestion of drops and, consequently, absorption of xylometazoline hydrochloride from the gastrointestinal tract may occur. This mainly occurs in children. In this case, there is a pronounced sedative effect of the active substance, increased blood pressure, arrhythmia, tachycardia, drowsiness, irregular breathing or respiratory depression, confusion. Special antidote Galazolin does not exist. Overdose treatment is symptomatic.
It is not recommended to use the drug in patients with vasomotor and chronic rhinitis, since with these types of the disease in most cases there is a tendency to treatment for more than 2 weeks in a row, which is contraindicated for xylometazoline. This is due to the fact that with longer use of Galazolin, secondary expansion of blood vessels is possible and, as a result, the development of iatrogenic rhinitis.
Galazolin does not adversely affect visual acuity, speed of physical and mental reactions, as well as the ability to concentrate.
Synonyms (analogs of the active agent) galazolin are Grippostad Reno, Dr. Theiss Rinotayss, Dlyanos, asterisk ERA, xylitol, Inflyurin, Ksimetazolin, Xymelin, Xymelin Eco Nosolin, Otrivin, Rinonorm, Rinomaris, Rinorus, Rinostop, Sialor, Sanorin-xylitol, Stup, Suprima-NOZ, Tizin Xylo and Xylo BIO, Farmazolin, Equazolin Aqua, Espazolin.
Related to the mechanism of action to Galazolin and belonging to the same pharmacological subgroup ("Sympathomimetics") drugs: Afrin, Viks Active Sinex, Lasolvan Reno, Nazivin, Nazivin Sensitive, Nasol, Nasol Advance, Nasol Baby, Nasol Kids, Nosposprey, Naftizin, Nesopin Noksprey, Oxymetazoline, Rinosprey, Sanorin, Sanorin.
Terms and conditions of storage
From pharmacies Galazolin released without a prescription. According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, it should be stored in a dry place protected from sunlight but at a temperature of 15-25 ºC. Subject to the conditions described, the nasal gel is suitable for use for 3 years, drops - 4 years.