Domperidone - a drug that has an antiemetic effect and soothes hiccups, in some cases - eliminates nausea.
Release form and composition
Domperidone Dosage Form - tablets.
The composition of the drug:
- Domperidone as an active substance (10 mg per tablet);
- Additional components: colloidal silicon dioxide, macrogol, polyvinyl alcohol, pregelatinized starch, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, talc, titanium dioxide;
- Shell composition: titanium dioxide, hypromellose, propylene glycol, talc.
Indications for use
As an antiemetic, Domperidone, according to the instructions, is prescribed for nausea and vomiting, including if they are due to:
- The use of morphine, dopaminomimetik and other drugs;
- Radiation therapy;
- Organic or functional illnesses;
- Dietary disorders;
- Endoscopic or radiopaque examination.
In addition, Domperidone is prescribed for:
- Intestinal hypotonia;
- Biliary dyskinesia;
- Hiccups of various origins;
- Atony of the gastrointestinal tract, including postoperative.
Domperidone is also effective for such dyspeptic symptoms, such as a feeling of fullness in the epigastrium, pain in the upper abdomen, flatulence, bloating, belching, heartburn (including with the reflux of the stomach contents in the oral cavity) caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, or slowed-down gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, or slowed-down gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, or slowed-down gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, or slowed-down gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophagitis, or slowed-down .
In order to speed up peristalsis Domperidone can be used when conducting radiopaque studies of the digestive tract.
Take the drug according to the instructions should not:
- Simultaneously with anticholinergics;
- Pregnant women;
- While breastfeeding;
- Children under 5 years old or children weighing up to 20 kg.
The use of Domperidone, according to the instructions, is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to the active / auxiliary component of the drug;
- Mechanical intestinal obstruction;
- Prolactinoma (prolactin-secreting pituitary tumor);
- Glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- The presence of bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract;
- Lactase deficiency;
- Hereditary lactose intolerance;
- Perforation of the intestine or stomach.
Perhaps the use of Domperidone, but under the supervision of a physician with hepatic or renal failure.
Dosing and Administration
As indicated in the instructions, take the pill should be a quarter of an hour before meals.
When dyspeptic disorders appoint 1 tab. 3-4 times a day, the latter, if necessary, can be taken immediately before bedtime.
With severe nausea and vomiting, you can take 2 tablets. 3-4 times a day: the main - before meals, the last - before bedtime.
The maximum allowable daily dose of Domperidone is 80 mg (8 tablets).
Patients with renal insufficiency, the drug is also prescribed for 1 tab., But the number of doses should not exceed 2 times a day.
Without consultation, you can take the medicine for no more than 4 weeks, the possibility of further use of Domperidone should be agreed with the doctor.
In all other cases, the dose of the drug and the duration of treatment are determined by the doctor depending on the evidence and the severity of the clinical picture.
According to patient reviews, the drug is generally well tolerated. However, in some cases, the following side effects occur:
- On the part of the digestive tract: constipation / diarrhea, thirst, heartburn, changes in appetite, stomatitis, dry mouth, spasm of smooth muscles;
- From the nervous system, sensory organs: headache, asthenia, irritability, drowsiness, nervousness, conjunctivitis (itching, swelling, redness, eye pain), leg cramps, lethargy; people with elevated permeability of BBB and children have a risk of extrapyramidal disorders;
- Other side effects: gynecomastia, irregular menstruation, mastalgia, galactorrhea, rapid heartbeat, increased prolactin levels in the blood plasma, urination disorders (change in frequency, difficulty, pain).
In case of hypersensitivity or intolerance to any substance included in Domperidone, allergic reactions are possible, including hives, rashes, itching, swelling of the face, hands, legs and feet.
Overdose symptoms: disorientation and drowsiness, extrapyramidal reactions are often noted in children. Treatment involves the use of activated carbon, and in extrapyramidal disorders - anticholinergic drugs, which are usually used in parkinsonism, or antihistamines with anticholinergic effect.
Domperidone should not be taken simultaneously with anticholinergic and antacid drugs, because they neutralize its action.
The bioavailability of the active substance is reduced by cimetidine and sodium bicarbonate. Its concentration in the blood is increased by macrolide antibiotics, nefazodone, antifungal agents of the azole series, and HIV protease inhibitors.
With the same active ingredient the following drugs are produced: Domet, Damelium, Domperidone Hexal, Domstal, Domperidon-Teva, Motizhekt, Motilium, Motilak, Motinorm, Naouselin, Motonium, Peridal, Passazhiks, Eutsiton, Peridon and Zilroton.
The following drugs belong to the same pharmacological group (“GI motility stimulants”) and have a similar effect on the human body: Ganaton, Ateclidine, Dimetramid, Itopra, Itomed, Melomid, Metoclopramide, Perinorm, Tzirukal and Tseruglan.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug Domperidone can be freely purchased at the pharmacy - a doctor's prescription is not needed for this.
Store the tablets according to the instructions should be in a dark, dry place at temperatures up to 25 ºC. Shelf life of the drug - 3 years.