Depo-Provera is an anticancer drug that is a gestagen that does not have estrogenic activity.
Release form and composition
Depo-Provera dosage form is a suspension intended for i / m administration.
The composition of the drug:
- 150 mg / ml medroxyprogesterone;
- The following additional components: sodium chloride, polysorbate 80, propyl paraben, methyl paraben, polyethylene glycol 3350, injectable water.
Depo Provera suspension is sold in 1 ml disposable syringes and vials, as well as in 3.3 and 6.7 ml vials.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Depo-Provera is prescribed for the treatment of:
- Prostate carcinomas;
- Recurrent and / or recurrent endometrial cancer;
- Metastatic and / or metastatic kidney cancer;
- Prostate adenoma (some forms);
- Cancer cachexia in the case of advanced tumors (of different localization);
- Hormone-dependent recurrent breast cancer in women who are in menopause.
In gynecological practice, the drug can be used in the treatment of endometriosis and vasomotor manifestations in patients in menopause.
In some cases, women of childbearing age will be prescribed Depo-Provera as a contraceptive.
The use of Depo-Provera, in accordance with the instructions, is contraindicated in:
- In case of hypersensitivity to medroxyprogesterone or any auxiliary component;
- During pregnancy;
- Breastfeeding women.
Depo-Provera may be used, but with extreme caution and under constant medical supervision for:
- Severe functional disorders of the liver;
- Increased level of calcium in the blood;
- Heart failure;
- Migraine attacks;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Thromboembolic complications;
- Renal failure.
Dosing and Administration
According to the instructions, Depo-Provera is intended only for intramuscular administration.
The doctor determines the required dose of Depo-Provera and the duration of treatment in each case individually, depending on the type and stage of the disease.
In cancer of the kidney and endometrium, the drug is used once a week at a dose of 400 mg to 1 gram. As soon as there is improvement in the patient’s condition and stabilization is achieved, the patient is transferred to maintenance therapy at a dose of 400 mg once a month.
Breast cancer is treated at a dose of 500 mg, intramuscular injections are given daily for 28 days, after which a maintenance dosage is applied, usually it is 500 mg twice a week. The treatment is long.
In metastatic prostate cancer, Depo-Provera is administered at a dose of 500 mg twice a week for 3 months, then at the same dosage once a week.
In endometriosis, the drug is usually used in 50 mg once a week or 100 mg once every 2 weeks. The course of treatment is 6 months.
With vasomotor manifestations, injections are made at a dose of 150 mg once every 3 months.
In a similar pattern, the drug is used as a contraceptive. The first injection is given during the first five days of the menstrual cycle or 5 days after delivery, if the woman does not breastfeed. Breast-feeding women can use Depo-Provera after the end of lactation. To maintain the necessary contraception, subsequent injections are carried out with an interval of 12 weeks.
Before use, the vial is well shaken so that the suspension becomes uniform.
During the period of application of Depo-Provera, the following undesirable reactions may occur:
- Breast tenderness, abdominal pain, vaginitis, galactorrhea, amenorrhea, hot flashes, bleeding from the genital tract, leucorrhea, decreased libido, anorgasmia, dysfunctional uterine bleeding (effects of the reproductive system)
- Spasms of the gastrocnemius muscles, pain in the back and joints (from the musculoskeletal system);
- Unpleasant sensations in the abdomen, nausea, flatulence (phenomena of the digestive system);
- Thrombophlebitis, thromboembolism (side effects from the blood coagulation system);
- Headache, drowsiness, increased tiredness, insomnia, dizziness, depression, increased nervous irritability (central nervous system reactions);
- Urticaria, anaphylaxis, anaphylactoid reactions (allergic reactions);
- Skin rash, itching, alopecia, hirsutism, acne (dermatological reactions);
- Hyperthermia, moon-shaped face, asthenia, change in body weight (other side effects).
Reception of Depo-Provera in too large doses can lead to a feeling of increased fatigue and an increase in body weight, accompanied by fluid retention in the body. In some cases, effects characteristic of glucocorticoids may be observed. In the treatment of overdose is not necessary, it is enough to stop the use of the drug.
Before the appointment of Depo-Provera as a contraceptive, women are prescribed an additional examination in order to exclude malignant neoplasms of the mammary glands and cervical tumors.
According to the instructions, Depo-Provera is contraindicated during pregnancy, so before its appointment women should be excluded pregnancy.
Medroxyprogesterone may distort the results of some tests, in particular, the methapirone test, studies with sugar load, test for blood clotting factors VII, VIII, IX, X, as well as the test for prothrombin.
In addition, the drug may affect the results of laboratory tests that determine the level of testosterone, progesterone, cortisol, gonadotropins, pregnandiol, estrogen and specific globulin.
- According to the mechanism of action: Depot;
- According to the active substance: Veraplex and Provera.
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Depo-Provera belongs to the category of prescription drugs. Store it at room temperature in a place protected from the sun. Shelf life - 5 years.