Bromhexine is a mucolytic drug with expectorant and antitussive action.
Release form and composition
Bromhexine is available in the form of tablets, syrup, drops and solution, the main active ingredient of which is bromhexine hydrochloride.
As auxiliary substances in Bromhexine used:
- Tablets - corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone;
- Syrup - food grade sorbitol, propylene glycol, eucalyptus oil, succinic acid, sodium benzoate, ethyl alcohol, flavoring, purified water;
- Drops - oils of bitter fennel, star anise, thyme, peppermint and eucalyptus, menthol, ethyl alcohol, sucrose, polysorbate 80, hydrochloric acid, potassium dihydrophosphate, purified water, sodium hydrophosphate dodecahydrate;
- Solution - sorbitol, propylene glycol, flavoring, purified water, hydrochloric acid.
The tablets of the drug are available in blister packs and plastic cans of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 100 pieces, syrup in dark bottles of 50 and 100 ml, drops in dark glass dropper bottles of 20, 50 and 100 ml , solution - in dark bottles of 100 ml complete with a measuring spoon.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Bromhexin is used for diseases of the respiratory tract, which are accompanied by obstructed sputum discharge, namely:
- Bronchial asthma;
- Cystic fibrosis;
- Pulmonary tuberculosis;
- Bronchitis of various etiology;
- Acute and chronic pneumonia;
as well as for the rehabilitation of the bronchial tree before diagnostic and therapeutic intrabronchial manipulations, in the preoperative period, after operations in order to prevent the accumulation of thick viscous sputum in the bronchi.
According to the instructions, Bromhexine does not apply when:
- Hypersensitivity of the patient to the substances in the drug;
- Peptic ulcer of the stomach;
- Pregnancy (first trimester) and lactation;
as well as under the age of 6 years.
Bromhexine is used with caution when:
- Hepatic or renal failure;
- History of gastric bleeding;
- Diseases of the bronchi with an excessive amount of secretion.
Dosing and Administration
Tablets, solution, syrup and drops of Bromhexine are intended for oral administration.
- For children under 2 years, 2 mg 3 times a day;
- For children from 2 to 6 years, 4 mg 3 times a day;
- For children from 6 to 14 years, 8 mg 3 times a day;
- Patients over 14 years old - 8-16 mg 3-4 times a day. If necessary, you can increase the dosage to 16 mg 4 times a day.
The duration of drug therapy is 4-14 days.
When using Bromhexine, certain adverse reactions may develop:
- The digestive system: dyspepsia, abdominal pain, transient increase in liver enzymes in the serum, exacerbation of peptic ulcer;
- Respiratory system: bronchospasm, cough;
- Central nervous system: dizziness, headache;
- Dermatological reactions: skin rash, increased sweating, itching, rhinitis, urticaria, angioedema.
When applying Bromhexine should be borne in mind that:
- The drug is not used concurrently with codeine-containing drugs, since it worsens expectoration of sputum;
- The drug is not used with alkaline solutions;
- The drug improves the penetration of sulfonamides and antibiotics (cefalexin, erythromycin, amoxicillin, oxytetracycline) into the lung tissue;
- It is possible to use Bromhexine in combined herbal preparations with menthol, essential oils of eucalyptus, anise, peppermint;
- An overdose of the drug is manifested by increased adverse reactions. In such situations, artificial induction of vomiting is applied, the patient is given fluid intake (water or milk) for the first 1-2 hours after an overdose, then symptomatic therapy;
- During therapy, patients are encouraged to use enough liquid to maintain the secretolytic action of the drug. If a significant amount of sputum is released, or if there is a violation of the motility of the bronchi, the drug should be taken carefully due to the danger of a delay in the sputum airway;
- If there are changes in the mucous membranes and skin, the drug is stopped.
Analogues of the drug are Bronchotil, Solvin, Flekoksin, Flagamin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Bromhexine is stored in a dark and dry place at a temperature of no more than 25 º for no more than three years.