Binafin is a drug for the treatment of fungal diseases.
Release form and composition
Make the following dosage forms:
- Binafin tablets containing the active substance - terbinafine - in the amount of 125 or 250 mg. Auxiliary substances of the drug are povidone, talc, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, starch, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium starch glycolate, sodium methylparaben.
- Binafin cream containing 10 mg of terbinafine in 1 g. Auxiliary components are purified water, sodium acid phosphate, ketomacrogol, ketostearyl alcohol, propyl paraben, liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin, methyl paraben.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Binafin tablets is intended for the treatment of:
- Skin mycoses caused by Candida fungi and dermatophytes in cases where, due to the prevalence, severity or localization of the infection, therapy with oral medications is allowed only;
- Onychomycosis caused by dermatophytes;
- Mycosis of the scalp.
Binafin cream is prescribed for:
- Skin fungal infections caused by dermatophytes;
- Yeast infections of the skin caused by fungi of the genus Candida;
- Multi-colored lichen.
According to the instructions, Binafin is not prescribed for:
- Children under 2 years of age (for tablets);
- Children under 12 years old (for cream);
- Hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug.
In the application of Binafina caution should be exercised when:
- Alcohol abuse;
- The presence of tumors;
- Pregnancy (the drug is allowed only in the form of kerma);
- Metabolic disorders;
- Renal or hepatic insufficiency;
- Occlusive vascular diseases of the limbs;
- Inhibition of bone marrow hematopoiesis.
Dosing and Administration
Binafin tablets are taken orally. The dosage is usually 250 mg once a day. For children older than two years, the drug is prescribed based on body weight:
- Up to 20 kg - 62.5 mg per day;
- 20-40 kg - 125 mg per day;
- 40 kg or more - 250 mg per day.
The duration of therapy is on average 0.5-1 month for ringworm of the body and lower legs, candidiasis of the skin. With dermatomycosis of the feet and onychomycosis of the bones, the treatment lasts 1.5 months, with mycoses of the scalp - 1 month, with onychomycosis of the feet - 3 months.
Binafin cream is prescribed to children over 12 years old and adults. The drug is applied in a thin layer to the affected areas of the body, previously cleaned and dried, with a frequency of 1-2 times a day. With infections accompanied by diaper rash (in the interdigital spaces, armpits, between the buttocks), the application sites are covered with gauze. As a rule, the duration of treatment with a cream is 0.5 months.
The use of Binafina can cause the following side effects in a patient:
- Musculoskeletal system: arthralgia, myalgia;
- Allergies: skin rash, urticaria, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, anaphylactoid reactions. If you experience a progressive skin rash, you should stop taking Binafina;
- Local reactions: itching or burning sensation at the site of application of the cream, hyperemia. As a rule, these phenomena are of a transient nature;
- Hematopoietic system: neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis.
- Other: alopecia.
The drug Binafin may cause an overdose, accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Epigastric nausea;
If there are signs of overdose, the patient should do a gastric lavage followed by the adoption of adsorbents, and symptomatic treatment should be carried out.
When externally used data overdose Binafina not reported.
If a patient experiences symptoms of abnormal liver function (lack of appetite, nausea, weakness, jaundice, vomiting, pain in the right hypochondrium, lightening feces, or darkening of the urine), it is recommended to conduct laboratory tests, consult a doctor and stop taking the drug.
Binafin should be combined with caution with beta-blockers, tricyclic antidepressants, MAO inhibitors and serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
When applying Binafina in the form of a cream, you should avoid getting the medication on the mucous membrane of the eyes.
Patients with impaired renal function should reduce the dose of binafine in half. In violation of the liver, the use of the drug is not recommended.
When binafina is combined with oral contraceptives, women may experience irregular menstrual cycles.
Binafin tablets during pregnancy is contraindicated. In the form of a cream, the drug can be used only in cases where the potential benefit to the mother exceeds the likely risks to the fetus.
If necessary, the use of terbinafine during lactation should stop breastfeeding, as the substance is excreted in breast milk.
Binafine analogs belonging to the same pharmacological group and having a similar therapeutic effect are:
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Binafin should be stored in a dark, dry, out of reach of children. The shelf life of tablets and cream Binafin is 3 years.