Biltricid is an anthelmintic drug used mainly for treating trematodosis.
Release form and composition
Biltricid is produced in the form of film-coated tablets, the main active ingredient of which is praziquantel.
The following substances were used as excipients in the preparation: corn starch, sodium lauryl sulfate, magnesium stearate, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose; shell - titanium dioxide, hypromellose, macrogol 400.
Tablets are available in bottles with a plastic cap, one bottle per pack.
Indications for use
According to the instructions Biltricid is used for:
- Trematodoses (clonorchosis, metagonimiasis, opisthorchiasis);
- Cestodosis (diphyllobotriose, hymenolepidosis, teniosis, teniarninhoze);
- Schistosomiasis intestinal and urogenital.
According to the instructions Biltricid does not apply:
In case of hypersensitivity of the patient to the drug and its components;
- With cysticercosis of the eye;
- During the first trimester of pregnancy and lactation;
- At the age of 4 years.
The drug should be used carefully with:
- Hepatosplenitis schistosomiasis;
- Hepatic insufficiency.
Dosing and Administration
Biltricid tablets are intended for oral administration.
They are taken after meals with water.
If you need to take pills several times during the day, the break between taking the drug should be at least 4-6 hours.
- With schistosomiasis caused by Schistosoma haematobium - 40 mg per pound of weight once;
- With Shistosoma mansoni, Schistosoma intercalatum - 20 mg per kilogram of weight 2 times during the day or 40 mg per kilogram of weight once;
- With Schistosoma japonicum and Schistosoma mekongi, 30 mg per pound of weight twice during the day, or 60 mg per pound of weight once;
- With Clonorchis sinensis and Opisthorchis viverrini: 25 mg per pound of weight 3 times a day for 1-3 days;
- With Paragonimus westermani - 25 mg per pound of weight 3 times a day for 2-3 days.
When using Biltricid, certain adverse reactions may occur in the form of abdominal pain, diarrhea with blood, nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, lethargy, drowsiness, sweating, hyperthermia, itching, and urticaria.
When applying biltricid should be borne in mind that:
- In patients with hepatosplenical schistosomiasis or uncomplicated hepatic insufficiency, higher concentrations of the drug are observed and its metabolism slows down. The treatment of such patients is carried out in the hospital;
- Prescribing laxatives to patients is not required;
- Since the safety of use of the drug at the age of 4 years has not been established, it should not be used in this category of patients.
Biltricid analogues include such drugs as Azinox and Praziquantel.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug is stored at a temperature of not more than 20º in places with limited access of children not more than two years.