Bicillin is an antimicrobial drug of the penicillin group for systemic use.
Release form and composition
The medicine is produced in the form of a powder, from which a suspension is prepared for intramuscular administration, with different composition in bottles of 10 ml. So, the drug is of three types:
- Bicillin 1, in one bottle of which contains 600 thousand U, 1.2 million U or 2.4 million U of benzylpenicillin benzathine;
- Bitsillin 3, in one bottle which contains 600 thousand. Units or 1.2 ml. U of a mixture of benzathine benzylpenicillin, benzylpenicillin sodium (or potassium) salt and benzylpenicillin novocaine salt (200 thousand or 400 thousand of each substance, respectively);
- Bicillin 5, in one bottle of which contains 1.2 million. UNITS benzylpenicillin benzathine and 300 thousand. Benzylpenicillin Novocainic salt IU (total dosage 1.5 million).
Indications for use
As indicated in the instructions for Bicillin, this drug is intended for the treatment of infectious diseases caused by pathogens that are sensitive to benzathine benzylpenicillin, especially when there is a need to create a long-term therapeutic concentration of the active substance in the blood. So, this drug is prescribed for therapy:
- Acute tonsillitis;
- Scarlet fever;
Also Bicillin, according to the instructions, can be used for prevention:
- Wound infections;
- Relapse faces;
- Repeated attacks after acute rheumatic fever;
- Postoperative complications.
According to the annotation to the drug, the use of Bicillin is contraindicated:
- In case of hypersensitivity to penicillins, novocaine and other beta-lactam antibiotics;
- Breastfeeding women.
Prescribed medication, but with extreme caution and under the supervision of doctors:
- Pregnant women;
- Patients with renal insufficiency;
- With pseudomembranous colitis;
- Patients with bronchial asthma;
- With hay fever, other allergies and allergies.
Dosing and Administration
The solution prepared from powder is administered only intramuscularly, intravenous administration is prohibited!
The specific dosage, frequency of injections and duration of use depend on the type of disease and the severity of its course.
Bicillin 1 and Bicillin 3 are prescribed to adults in a single dose from 300 thousand units to 2.4 ml. U, to children - at the rate of 5-10 thousand. Units for each kilogram of weight.
Bicillin 5 is prescribed to adults at a dose of 1.5 million. Units once every 4 weeks, children over 8 years old - 1.2 million. Units once a month, children under 8 years old - 600 thousand. Units once every three weeks.
Suspension is prepared immediately before administration.
In a bottle with Bicillin 1 injected 3-5 ml of injection water or 0.9% NaCl solution.
In a bottle with Bicillin 3 injected 2-3 ml of injection water or isotonic NaCl solution.
In the bottle with Bicillin 5 injected 5-6 ml of sodium chloride solution, sterile water or 0.25-0.5% solution of procaine.
The mixture is shaken well until a uniform suspension is obtained, gently shaking the vial in the direction of its longitudinal axis for 30 seconds or rapidly rotating it between the palms for 1 minute.
When applying Bicillin there is a risk of the following undesirable effects on the part of the body:
- Reversible anemia, leukopenia or thrombocytopenia (from the hematopoietic system);
- Stomatitis, glossitis, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, candidiasis, pseudomembranous colitis, moderate transient elevation of serum transaminases (on the part of the digestive system)
- Acute interstitial nephritis (urinary system).
In addition, in the presence of hypersensitivity or intolerance to any component of Bicillin, allergic reactions are possible in the form of fever, urticaria, polymorphic erythema, exfoliative dermatitis, angioedema, joint pain, difficulty breathing, anaphylactic shock. Due to the release of endotoxins in the treatment of syphilis, the Yarish-Herxheimer reaction may develop, manifested by chills, fever, muscle pain, headache, nausea, tachycardia, a decrease in blood pressure, aggravation of existing symptoms of the disease or the appearance of new ones.
With long-term use of Bicillin there is a risk of developing superinfection - re-infection in the context of an unfinished infectious disease.
The use of the drug in high doses, especially in patients with renal insufficiency, can lead to the development of encephalopathy, manifested, including, motor impairment, clouding of consciousness, seizures.
The use of Bicillin in insufficient dosages or too early cessation of treatment leads to the emergence of resistant (resistant) strains of pathogens.
When treating Bicillin there is a risk of developing fungal lesions. For this reason, it is recommended to take vitamin C and vitamins of group B, and in some cases - levorin and nystatin.
In cases of suspected syphilis and the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, serological and microscopic examinations should be carried out before prescribing the drug and within 4 months of its use.
With the simultaneous use of Bicillin with bactericidal antibiotics, a synergistic effect is observed (enhancing the effect of each other), with bacteriostatic preparations - an antagonistic effect (mutual weakening).
The following drugs are analogues of Bicillin: Benzathinbenzylpenicillin, Benzylpenicillin, Benzylpenicillin sodium salt, Benzylpenicillin novocaine salt, Bicillin, Moldamin, Ospén, Retarpen, Star-Pen, Phenoxymethylpenicillin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Bicillin is a prescription drug.
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, the medication should be stored in a place protected from sunlight, at a temperature of 8 to 15 ºС. Under these conditions, the shelf life of the powder is 3 years.