Betamax is an antipsychotic drug.
Release form and composition
Make Betamax tablets containing the active substance - sulpiride - in the amount of 50, 100 or 200 mg.
Additional components of the drug are: magnesium stearate, povidone, corn starch, crospovidone, microcrystalline cellulose.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Betamax is shown as the main drug or in combination with other drugs for:
- Acute delirious states;
- Chronic and acute schizophrenia;
- Depression of a different nature;
- Dizziness, including those caused by Meniere's disease, otitis media, traumatic brain injury, vestibular neuritis, vertebrobasilar insufficiency;
As an auxiliary treatment, Betamax is prescribed for gastric and duodenal ulcers, colon irritation syndrome.
According to the instructions, Betamax is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Convulsive seizures;
- Acute poisoning with opioid analgesics, hypnotic drugs or alcohol;
- Manic psychosis;
- Parkinson's disease;
- Hypertension 2-3 degrees;
- Hypersensitivity to the active or auxiliary components of the drug;
- Breastfeeding period;
- Age up to 18 years;
- Prolactin-dependent tumors (including breast cancer);
- Aggressive behavior, affective disorders.
In the application of Betamax should be careful when:
- Severe pathologies of the heart;
- Prostate hyperplasia;
- Irregular menstrual cycle;
- Impaired renal function;
- Old age;
- Hepatic failure;
- Angina pectoris;
- Urinary retention
Dosing and Administration
Betamax is intended for oral administration. The tablets are taken regardless of the meal, in the first half of the day (the last intake should be made no later than 16.00), drinking plenty of fluids.
In acute delirious psychosis, chronic and acute schizophrenia, Betamax dosage is 600-1200 mg per day, divided into three doses. Maintenance dose - 300-800 mg per day, the maximum daily - 1600 mg.
When neuroses Betamax is shown in a dose of 400-600 mg per day, divided into 2-3 doses.
With depressions of various etiologies - 150-600 mg per day, divided into 2-3 doses.
With dizziness, the dose of Betamax is 150-200 mg per day. It is allowed to increase the dose to 300-400 mg per day in severe cases. The duration of therapy is at least 2 weeks.
When migraine medication prescribed in a dose of 100-300 mg per day.
As an auxiliary treatment for gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, the drug is prescribed in the amount of 150 mg per day, divided into three doses with a duration of therapy of 1-1.5 months.
During the period of pregnancy, in old age, with impaired renal function, Betamax is prescribed in lower doses and try to keep its use to a minimum.
The use of Betamax can cause the following side effects from the various systems of the vital activity of the organism:
- Cardiovascular system: increase or decrease in blood pressure, tachycardia, dizziness;
- Endocrine system: reversible hyperprolactinemia, accompanied by symptoms such as galactorrhea, gynecomastia, menstrual disorders, frigidity or impotence;
- Central nervous system: akatizia, extrapyramidal syndrome, sleep disorder, irritability, headache, early and late dyskinesias (spasm of chewing muscles, oculomotor disorders, spastic torticollis), hyperthermia (requires removal of Betamax), autonomic disorders, pallor skin patches, vegetative disorders, paleness of skin patches, vegetative disorders, vegetative disturbances, pale skin patches, hypertermia (requires cancellation of Betamax), autonomic disorders, paleness of skin patches.
- The digestive system: nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, heartburn, constipation, increased activity of liver enzymes;
- Allergies: skin rash, itching, eczematous rashes;
- Other side effects: visual impairment.
In case of an overdose of Betamax, the following symptoms occur:
- Dyskinesias (spastic torticollis, spasm of chewing muscles);
- Pronounced parkinsonism;
- Extrapyramidal disorders.
Treatment of overdose should be symptomatic with the use of centrally acting anticholinergic blockers.
Patients with epilepsy before the start of Betamax should be carried out a preliminary electrophysiological and clinical examination, since the drug can reduce the threshold of seizure activity.
With a combination of Betamax with drugs that increase the likelihood of ventricular arrhythmias, it is recommended to regularly monitor the ECG.
It is contraindicated in the period of Betamax therapy to consume alcoholic beverages.
During the period of drug treatment patients should be careful in the management of potentially dangerous mechanisms that require high concentration of attention.
The activity of sulpiride decreases with its simultaneous use with levodopa.
With the combination of Betamax with drugs that depress the central nervous system (hypnotics, opioid analgesics, antitussive drugs of central action), it is possible to increase their inhibitory action.
The bioavailability of sulpiride is reduced (by 20–40%) by antacids containing aluminum or magnesium ions, as well as sucralfate.
Betamax may be used during pregnancy, but only in cases where the expected benefit to the mother outweighs the potential risk to the fetus.
Structural analogues of Betamax are the following drugs:
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions, Betamax should be stored in a cool, dry, dark and out of reach of children. The shelf life of the drug is 2 years from the date of issue.