Berotec is a bronchodilating drug used to treat bronchial asthma and obstructive pulmonary disease.
Release form and composition
Berotec is produced as a solution for inhalation and metered-dose inhalation aerosol, the main active ingredient of which is fenoterol hydrobromide.
As excipients in the preparation used:
- Inhalation solution - distilled water, dihydrate edetate dihydrate, benzalkonium chloride, sodium chloride, hydrochloric acid;
- Inhalation aerosol - HFA 134a (propellant), distilled water, citric acid anhydride, ethanol.
The solution for inhalation is available in dark glass bottles of 20 ml with a dropper; inhalation aerosol - in aerosol cans with a mouthpiece of 200 doses (10 ml).
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Berotek applies:
- With chronic obstructive bronchitis;
- As a symptomatic therapy of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchial asthma;
- In order to prevent and to relieve bronchospasm in bronchial asthma;
- With emphysema;
- In order to prevent asthma physical effort.
According to the instructions, Berotek is not appointed when:
- Hypersensitivity of the patient to the components of the drug;
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy;
- Aortic stenosis;
- Heart disease;
- Decompensated diabetes;
- A threatening miscarriage;
as well as in the first trimester of pregnancy.
According to the instructions, Berotek should be carefully prescribed for:
- Severe diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- Recently suffered myocardial infarction.
Dosing and Administration
Berotek is intended for inhalation use.
Dosage solution for inhalation;
- In order to relieve an asthma attack: in patients over 12 years old - 0.5-1.25 ml (in severe cases); in very severe cases - 2 ml (under the supervision of a physician); in patients aged 6–12 years, 0.25–1 ml (in severe cases); in very severe cases - 1.5 ml;
- In order to prevent asthma of physical effort and as a symptomatic therapy of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and bronchial asthma: in patients over 6 years old - 0.5 ml up to 4 times per day; in patients up to 6 years old - 50 µg per kilogram of weight per reception up to 3 times per day (under the supervision of a physician).
The dose of the solution before use must be diluted with saline to 3-4 ml.
Repeated inhalation is carried out with an interval of at least 4 hours.
Berotec Aerosol Dosage:
- With an acute attack of bronchial asthma - 1 dose; inhalation can be repeated after 5 minutes. The next application of Beroteka is possible only after 3 hours.
- In order to prevent asthma of physical effort and as a symptomatic therapy of conditions that are accompanied by reversible narrowing of the airways - 1-2 doses per dose (no more than 8 doses per day);
When using Berotec, certain adverse reactions may occur:
- Cardiovascular system: palpitations, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, decreased dad, arrhythmia;
- Gastrointestinal: nausea, vomiting;
- Central nervous system: nervousness, small tremor, disturbance of accommodation, dizziness, headache, mental changes (in rare cases);
- Respiratory system: cough, local irritation, paradoxical bronchospasm;
- Allergic reactions: rash, urticaria, angioedema of the tongue, face, lips;
- Others: increased sweating, hypokalemia, myalgia, weakness, urinary retention, convulsions.
When applying Beroteka it should be borne in mind that:
- Large doses of the drug used for a long time can lead to an uncontrolled deterioration in the course of the disease;
- With the simultaneous use of beta 2 -agonists, severe hypokalemia may develop;
- With rapidly worsening acute dyspnea, an urgent need to consult a doctor;
- An overdose of the drug is manifested by palpitations, tachycardia, arterial hyper- or hypotension, anginal pain, increased pulse pressure, flushing of the face, arrhythmia, tremor. In such situations, the appointment of tranquilizers, sedatives, and, if necessary, intensive therapy is required;
- Anticholinergic drugs, beta-adrenergic and xanthine derivatives enhance the bronchodilatory effect of Berotec;
- The simultaneous use of other beta adrenergic agonists, anticholinergics, or xanthine derivatives that enter the systemic circulation may increase side effects;
- With simultaneous use of beta-blockers, the bronchodilator effect of the drug is weakened;
- The effect of the drug is enhanced by tricyclic antidepressants and MAO inhibitors;
- The effect of Berotec on the cardiovascular system is enhanced by inhalations of halothane, enflurane, trichlorethylene;
- Hypokalemia developed on the background of the drug intake may be enhanced by xanthine derivatives, diuretics and steroids;
- Hypokalemia, which developed when taking the drug, may increase the risk of developing arrhythmias with simultaneous use of digoxin.
Analogues of Berotec are drugs such as Partusisten, Fenoterol, Fenoterol hydrobromide.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug is stored at a temperature of not more than 30º in places not accessible to children, not more than five years.