Atarax is an anxiolytic drug (tranquilizer) intended for the treatment of diseases of the nervous system.
Release form and composition
Available medicine in the form of tablets and solution for intramuscular administration.
Atarax tablets include:
- 25 mg hydroxyzine hydrochloride;
- Such excipients as colloidal silicon anhydride, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, Opadry Y-1-7000 (macrogol 400, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose 2910 5cP, titanium dioxide).
Tablets are sold in blisters of 25 pcs.
In 1 ml of Atarax solution contains:
- 50 mg hydroxyzine hydrochloride;
- Sodium hydroxide and injectable water as auxiliary components.
A solution in 2 ml ampoules is realized.
Indications for use
As indicated in the official instructions for Atarax, in the form of tablets, this drug is prescribed:
- For relief of psychomotor agitation, irritability, feelings of internal tension, anxiety in neurological, somatic and mental (including against the background of adjustment disorders and generalized anxiety) diseases and chronic alcoholism;
- To eliminate psychomotor agitation caused by withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism;
- To eliminate pruritus (for symptomatic treatment), including in children;
- As a sedative in the period of sedation, including children.
In the form of Atarax solution, according to the instructions, it is applied:
- For the treatment of neurosis and neurotic states, manifested by anxiety, a sense of emotional tension, increased excitability;
- For the treatment of organic lesions of the central nervous system, accompanied by increased excitability;
- To eliminate withdrawal symptoms caused by chronic alcoholism;
- As a sedative in preparation for surgery;
- For stopping and preventing vomiting in the postoperative period;
- As a symptomatic remedy for eliminating pruritus.
According to the annotation to the drug, the use of Atarax is contraindicated in:
- Hereditary intolerance to galactose;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Violation of the absorption of glucose and galactose;
- Angle-closure glaucoma;
- The presence of hypersensitivity to hydroxyzine, any auxiliary component of the drug, as well as to cetirizine, aminophylline, ethylene diamine, piperazine derivatives.
Prescribed medication, but with extreme caution and under constant medical supervision for:
- Difficulty urinating;
- Prostatic hyperplasia;
- Predisposition to the development of arrhythmia;
- Increased intraocular pressure;
- Propensity to convulsive seizures;
Atarax dose reduction is required:
- Older people (especially when their glomerular filtration decreases);
- Patients with moderate and severe renal insufficiency;
- When liver failure.
Dosing and Administration
Children Atarax tablets, according to the instructions prescribed in these dosages:
- For sedation: at the age of over 6 years - at the rate of 1-2 mg per kilogram of body weight, for children from 1 to 6 years at a dose of 1-2.5 mg / kg. The total daily dosage is divided into several doses;
- For sedation: at the rate of 1 mg per kilogram of body weight on the night before the operation and at the same dose one hour before the surgery.
Adults Atarax tablets prescribed in these dosages:
- To eliminate anxiety: in a daily dose of 25-100 mg, divided into several doses (the last - before bedtime). The average dosage is usually 12.5 mg (1/2 tablet) three times a day - in the morning, in the afternoon and at night. In severe cases, the dose is increased to 300 mg per day;
- For the treatment of itching: 25 mg once a day, for severe course of the disease - 25 mg four times a day;
- For sedation: 50-200 mg at bedtime on the night before the operation, at the same dosage one hour before surgery.
Elderly patients reduce the dose by 2 times.
Atarax solution is intended for intramuscular administration, it is prescribed only for adult patients and in cases where it is necessary to achieve a therapeutic effect of the drug in a short time. The standard dosage of the solution is 50-100 mg, you can enter it with an interval of 4-6 hours.
Reviews of patients undergoing treatment with Atarax indicate that this drug may have side effects, such as:
- Dry mouth, disturbed accommodation, constipation, urinary retention;
- Dizziness, drowsiness, headache, general weakness (usually occur at the beginning of treatment; if after a few days these symptoms persist, it is recommended to reduce the dose of the drug), very rarely (mainly when taking the drug in large doses) - tremor, disorientation, involuntary activity, convulsions;
- Tachycardia, hypotension;
- Nausea, change in liver function tests;
- Fever, increased sweating, bronchospasm;
- Allergic reactions.
According to the patients, the side effects caused by the use of Atarax are mild in most cases, have a transient nature, and disappear on their own several days after the start of therapy or dose reduction.
Caution should be exercised when it is necessary to simultaneously apply Atarax with anticholinergics, drugs with arrhythmogenic effects, and with other drugs that suppress the central nervous system.
The structural analogue of Atarax is the drug Hydroxysin Canon, manufactured in the form of tablets for oral administration.
Terms and conditions of storage
Atarax is a drug released from pharmacies strictly by prescription. Its shelf life is 5 years, provided it is stored in a cool place, protected from sunlight.