Atacand is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist.
Release form and composition
Atacand tablets are made containing the active component - candesartan cilexetil - in the amount of 8, 16 or 32 mg.
Auxiliary components of the drug are: hyprolosis, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, calcium carmellose, magnesium stearate, macrogol.
On 14 tablets in the blister.
Indications for use
According to the instructions Atacand is shown when:
- High blood pressure;
- Heart failure and violation of the systolic function of the left ventricle (as part of the combined treatment).
According to the instructions Atacand is contraindicated in:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Abnormal liver function;
- Hypersensitivity to candesartan cilexetil or auxiliary components of the drug.
In the application of Atacand caution is recommended when:
- Severe renal failure;
- Elevated potassium levels;
- Stenosis of the arteries of both kidneys or stenosis of the artery of a single kidney;
- Primary hyperaldosteronism;
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy;
- Stenosis of the aortic or mitral valve;
- Ischemic heart disease, cerebrovascular diseases;
Also, the drug should be used with caution in children under the age of 18 years, patients undergoing a kidney transplant.
Dosing and Administration
Atacand is intended for internal use. Tablets are taken 1 time per day, regardless of the meal.
The initial dosage of Atacand for hypertension is 8 mg per day. If the patient requires a further reduction in pressure, the dosage can be increased to 16 mg per day. If treatment with Atacand does not lead to the expected results, the addition of thiazide diuretic is recommended.
The maximum therapeutic effect of the drug is achieved one month after the start of therapy.
In patients with impaired mild and moderate liver function, the initial dosage of Atacand is 2 mg per day with a gradual increase in dosage.
The joint appointment of Atacand with thiazide diuretics leads to increased hypotensive action.
In heart failure, the initial dosage of Atacanda is 4 mg per day with a gradual increase in dose to 32 mg per day with intervals of at least 2 weeks.
In heart failure, it is allowed to assign Atacand in combination with beta-blockers, cardiac glycosides, ACE inhibitors, diuretics.
The use of Atacanda can cause the following side effects:
- Central nervous system: headache, weakness, dizziness;
- Musculoskeletal system: back pain, myalgia, arthralgia;
- Laboratory indicators: a slight decrease in hemoglobin and sodium levels, an increase in creatinine, urea, or calcium;
- Cardiovascular system: marked reduction in blood pressure;
- Hematopoietic system: agranulocytosis, neutropenia, leukopenia;
- Metabolism: hyponatremia, hyperkalemia;
- Gastrointestinal: nausea;
- Liver and biliary tract: hepatitis, liver dysfunction, increase in the number of liver enzymes;
- Allergic and skin reactions: skin rash, urticaria, angioedema, pruritus;
- Urinary system: renal dysfunction, renal failure;
- Other: respiratory infections.
During treatment with Atacand, as with other medications that suppress the RAAS, impaired renal function may be observed, especially in susceptible patients.
When Atacand is used in patients with high blood pressure and renal insufficiency, it is necessary to monitor serum levels of potassium and creatinine.
During Atacand therapy, patients with chronic heart failure should monitor their renal function, especially in old age.
Taking Atacanda in combination with ACE inhibitors may cause increased side effects, especially hyperkalemia and renal dysfunction. Therefore, it is recommended to carefully monitor the patient and monitor the laboratory parameters.
In patients with stenosis of the arteries of both kidneys or stenosis of the artery of a single kidney, drugs such as ACE inhibitors (depressing the RAAS) can cause an increase in serum creatinine and urea levels.
In patients with chronic heart failure during treatment with Atacand, arterial hypotension may develop. Therefore, the dosage of the drug should be carefully controlled.
Taking Atacanda in high doses can cause symptoms of overdose, namely, dizziness and arterial hypotension.
With the development of clinically severe arterial hypotension, symptomatic treatment is recommended. The patient must be laid in a horizontal position, his head down. If necessary, intravenous administration of isotonic sodium chloride solution should be carried out.
Atacand does not affect the patient's ability to manage potentially dangerous mechanisms that require high concentration of attention. However, since dizziness may occur as a result of drug therapy, this should be taken into account before starting to drive a car or operate a vehicle.
Atakanda analogues are the following drugs:
Terms and conditions of storage
According to the instructions Atacand refers to the drugs on list B, from pharmacies prescription.
Store the medicine should be at a cool temperature, in a dark and dry place, out of reach of children. Shelf life is 3 years.