Arbidol is an antiviral immunomodulatory drug used to treat influenza and ARVI.
Release form and composition
Arbidol is available in the form of capsules and tablets in dosages of 50 and 100 mg. Tablets are film coated, have white or cream color. Tablets of 5 and 10 pieces are packed in blisters, each carton pack contains 1, 2, 4 packs. Capsules of 50 mg of yellow, and 100 mg of white with a yellow cap. The capsules contain a mixture of powder and granules. The main active ingredient is umifenovir. Excipients in tablets: potato starch, MCC, Povidone K30, calcium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide, macrogol, polysorbate. Arbidol capsules contain potato starch, gelatin, colloidal silicon dioxide, povidone, calcium stearate, titanium dioxide, a yellow quinoline dye, acetic acid, methyl parahydroxybenzoate.
Indications for use
The use of Arbidol is indicated for the prevention and treatment of acute respiratory viral infections in children and adults. The drug is administered to patients with type A and B flu, with acute respiratory viral infections, as well as with severe acute respiratory syndrome, complicated by bronchitis and pneumonia. Arbidol shows the greatest efficiency in the early stages of the disease. Also, the drug is prescribed for immunodeficiency, which arose against the background of fatigue, stress, medication, the harmful effects of the environment. Arbidol can be a part of the complex therapy of pneumonia, recurring herpes infections, as well as chronic bronchitis. Prescribe the drug to prevent the occurrence of infectious complications in the postoperative period and to normalize the immune system. The use of Arbidol is indicated in the complex treatment of acute intestinal infections of rotavirus etiology in children after three years.
The drug is usually well tolerated and has a minimum of contraindications. According to the instructions for Arbidol, it should not be taken by children under the age of three years and patients with individual intolerance to the components of the drug. Data on the effect of the drug on the body of pregnant and lactating women are not.
Dosing and Administration
The instructions to Arbidol said that the drug should be taken before meals. Children after three years, appoint Arbidol in a dosage of 50 mg. The treatment regimen may vary depending on the type and severity of the disease. The standard dosage for an adult is 200 mg per day, for a child aged 6 to 12 years old - 100 mg, and for children from 3 to 6 years old - 50 mg per day.
- If a person is in contact with patients with ARVI and flu, for prophylaxis he is prescribed the usual dosage once a day for 10-14 days;
- For prophylaxis during the period of an ARVI and flu epidemic and as a prophylaxis of exacerbations of chronic bronchitis and recurrence of herpes infection, the standard dosage is prescribed 2 times a week for three weeks;
- In contact with patients for the prevention of SARS, a standard dosage is prescribed 1 time per day for 12-14 days;
- To prevent complications that may arise in the postoperative period, Arbidol is prescribed 2 days before the operation, as well as on the second and fifth day after the operation in the standard dosage 1 time;
- For the treatment of acute respiratory viral infections and flu that is uncomplicated, Arbidol is prescribed 4 times a day every 6 hours for five days;
- With the development of complications (pneumonia, bronchitis), the drug is prescribed 4 times a day every 6 hours for the first five days, then a standard dosage once a week for a month;
- In the treatment of SARS prescribed use of the drug 2 times a day for 8-10 days;
- With the complex treatment of recurrent herpes infection and chronic bronchitis, the drug is prescribed 4 times a day every 6 hours for 5-7 days, then 1 dose 2 times a week for one month;
- According to the instructions for Arbidol in the complex treatment of acute intestinal infections of rotavirus etiology, the drug is prescribed 4 times a day for 5 days.
Side effects are extremely rare, sometimes the appearance of allergic reactions. The drug is low toxic and does not adversely affect the human body when used in the indicated doses. Cases of overdose of Arbidol were not noted.
Arbidol does not affect the patient's ability to drive, as well as perform work that would require increased concentration. The use of the drug is well combined with other drugs.
Arbidol has many analogues: Engystol, Armenicum, Ferrovir, Proteflazid, Detoxopyrol. All these preparations contain the same active ingredient.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug should be stored in a dry dark place at a temperature below 25 degrees for two years.