Androkur is an antiandrogenic drug.
Release form and composition
Androkur comes in pill form. 1 tablet contains 10, 50 or 100 mg of active ingredient - cyproterone acetate. The auxiliary substances used are colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, lactose monohydrate, 25,000 polyvidone, and corn starch.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Androkur (tablets containing 10 mg of cyproterone acetate) is used in women with manifestations of androgenation of moderate severity, such as:
- Androgenic Alopecia;
- Moderate hirsutism;
- Acne in severe and moderate form.
50 mg tablets are used in the following cases:
- At the beginning of therapy with GnRH agonists, to reduce the severity of hyperandrogenism in prostate cancer;
- Antiandrogen therapy for inoperable prostate cancer;
- To relieve "hot flushes" in patients receiving prostate cancer with GnRH agonists;
- To reduce increased sexual desire in patients with sexual deviations.
100 mg tablets are used in patients with prostate cancer for:
- Antiandrogen therapy for inoperable cancer;
- Relieving "hot flushes" in patients receiving GnRH agonist therapy;
- Reducing the severity of hyperandrogenism at the beginning of treatment with GnRH agonists.
Application Androkura contraindicated in the following diseases and conditions:
- Liver disease;
- Dubin-Johnson Syndrome;
- Herpes or itching during pregnancy in history;
- Rotor Syndrome;
- Previously or existing liver tumors;
- Severe chronic depression;
- Severe diabetes with vascular changes;
- Existing or previously transferred thromboembolic processes;
- Sickle cell anemia;
- Lactation period.
Dosing and Administration
The dosage of the drug depends on the specific disease. When applying Androkura in men with pathological abnormalities in the field of sexual behavior, the dose is assigned individually. The initial dose is usually 50 mg, the frequency of use - 2 times a day. If necessary, the dose of Androkur can be increased, and when the therapeutic effect is achieved, it can be reduced to the minimum maintenance.
In the treatment of Androkur with inoperable prostate carcinoma, the drug is prescribed at a dose of 100 mg 2-3 times a day. At the beginning of therapy, GnRH agonists are given 100 mg 2 times a day for 5-7 days, and in the next 3-4 weeks - at the same dosage, but in combination with the GnRH agonist.
For the treatment of hot flashes, 50-150 mg of the drug is prescribed per day.
In inoperable or metastatic prostate cancer, it is possible to administer tablets containing 100 mg of cyproterone acetate. Dosage - 200-300 mg per day, divided into 2-3 doses.
Androkur used in women with androgenization in the form of tablets 10 mg daily for 1-15 days of the menstrual cycle, 1 tablet 1 time per day. Sometimes the drug is used in combination with Diane-35 to exclude menstruation and achieve a contraceptive effect.
The duration of treatment depends on the type and severity of the phenomena of increased androgenization and the effectiveness of therapy. Seborrhea and acne are usually cured earlier than alopecia.
Androkur should be taken orally after meals with a liquid.
According to the instructions to Androkur, its use can cause the following undesirable effects:
- On the part of the endocrine system - a decrease in fertility and gynecomastia in men, tension in the mammary glands and a change in body weight in women;
- On the part of the musculoskeletal system - osteoporosis in men;
- From the side of the central nervous system - a general decrease in mood, fatigue, depressive states, impaired ability to concentrate, anxiety;
- On the part of the digestive system - abdominal pain, nausea, abnormal liver function;
- Others - dry skin, a sense of lack of air (with prolonged use of the drug).
In patients with prostate carcinoma suffering from sickle cell anemia, diabetes with vascular changes or undergoing thromboembolic events, when deciding whether to administer this drug, carefully weigh the possible benefit and risk of the patient developing the negative effects of therapy.
Before starting the application of Androkur, patients should undergo a general medical and patients - and gynecological examination.
Alcohol consumption can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of Androkur therapy.
During treatment, the picture of peripheral blood and liver function should be carefully monitored.
Patients should be aware that taking this drug may lead to reduced ability to concentrate and increased fatigue.
The analogue of this drug is the drug Tsiproteron-Teva.
Terms and conditions of storage
Androkur has no special requirements for storage conditions. The shelf life of the drug is 5 years.